E-1 Treaty Trader

E-1 Treaty Trader

These visas are granted to businessmen and women from a list of specific countries (Treaty Countries) who plan to engage in substantial trade with the US or whose employer does.

Who Qualifies?

  • The applicant must be a citizen of a treaty nation (please see link above).
  • At least 50% of the company where the E-1 applicant will work must be owned by citizens of the same treaty country. The company is often owned by the visa applicant, but this is not necessary.
  • The business must engage in active trade, meaning the international exchange of goods, services, and technology.
  • The volume and dollar value of trade must be so substantial as to justify the trader or the employees being in the U.S. to manage this trade.
  • At least 50% of the international trade involved must be between the U.S. and the country of the applicant’s nationality.
  • The applicant may be the Treaty Trader themselves, must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity or possess highly specialized skills essential to operation of the firm. Contact us to learn more about this technical requirement.
  • The applicant must signal that at the expiration of the E-1 visa, he or she intends to leave the United States.

What are the Benefits of an E-1 Visa?

  • E-1 visas are initially be granted for up to two years, during which time the visa holder may travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  • An E-1 visa can be renewed for two-year increments as often as the applicant applies. This can allow the Treaty Trader to remain in the US to oversee the business.
  • An E-1 visa holder who travels abroad is often granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the U.S.
  • An E-1 visa holder will be legally permitted legally work in the United States for the business.
  • An E-1 visa holder’s spouse and unmarried minor children are also granted visas. The spouse may apply for permission to work in the United States – even at a different business.

How can I Present a Business Plan That Leads to an E-1 visa?

Your business plan will make all the difference in your application. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) agency will scrutinize your plan to make sure you qualify.

There must be a continuous flow of trade items between the US and the applicant’s home country.

What Are the Dollar Amounts? What Is the Volume of Trade? What Is the Frequency of Trade?

There is no minimum dollar amount written in law, but we advise that applications with trade totaling under $200,000.00 USD are often rejected. Likewise, there is no statutory minimum volume, but your company’s initial shipment of products should fill a warehouse or retail store. Companies that provide services use other metrics. Decision makers also want to see near constant trade. One shipment is not enough.

The team at VISAS-USA can help you present your business plan in the most favorable way.

What Are The Differences Between E-1 Visas, E-2 Visas, and L-Visas?

 L-1 VisasE-1 VisasE-2 Visas
Can you apply from any country?Treaty countries onlyTreaty countries only
Is there a one-year work requirement?
Can my spouse work in the US?
Can I renew the visa indefinitely if I qualify?
Is my business plan crucial?
Is there a minimum investment?Investment must be enough to operate foreign business and US businessNo, but the larger the stronger the applicationInvestment must be large enough to fund US business, usually above $150,000USD
Can I transition to an immigrant visa?After 1 year an L-1 visa holder can apply for a green cardThe E-B5 program can lead to green cardThe E-B5 program can lead to green card

 E-1 Visa Fees

  • Filing Fee – Regular $460
  • Filing Fee – Premium $2,960

Client Reviews

I am indebted to VISAS-USA for their great work in getting my O Visa. I highly recommend them!

Karina Vence, Dinastia Market

Thanks to the work and experience of VISAS-USA, I received my visa sooner than I thought. They are true experts on the...

Luis Rey, Pinta Art

The process of getting an American visa was unfamiliar terrain for me. The advice of VISAS-USA was essential to establish the...

Facundo Bermejo, eVent Medical

The VISAS-USA team did everything possible to get my Permanent Residency through a National Interest Waiver application.

Jorge Becerra, Piloto

Free Consultation Available

Fill out the contact form or call us at (305) 215-7586 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message