L Visa

L-1 Visa

These visas are granted to applicants who want to transfer their work to the United States. They are granted to individuals who work for a foreign company with a parent, a subsidiary, or a branch in the United States, and who are either in an executive or managerial position, or who have specialized knowledge.

Who qualifies? 

  • The applicant does NOT need to come from a treaty country, like applicants for E visas.
  • The L-1 visa is separated into two parts: A and B.
  • An L-1A visa is for employees who aim to come to the US as an executive, manager, or supervisor.
  • An L-1B visa is for employees who aim to come to the US because they have specialized knowledge that their company needs.
  • L-2 visas are for spouses and dependents of L-1 visa holders.
  • L-1 visa holders must work for a qualifying company. This means their employer in the US must have a special connection to their employer in their home country. It should provide the same type of goods or services. One of the companies must be the parent or subsidiary of the other, or a branch. A subsidiary means a company owned entirely, or more than 50% by the parent company.
  • Our team at VISAS-USA can help you demonstrate this relationship.
  • An L-1A visa holder must truly be an employee, not merely an owner of the foreign company. He or she should receive a salary. The visa holder must be coming to truly supervise a team of professionals. This means the visa holder must not only do day to day work at the company. This is not supervisory. And he or she must manage a team of professionals who have a high level of education or experience, not mere laborers. 
  • An L-1B visa holder must be able to demonstrate that his or her knowledge of products or services is indeed specialized. They need not be the only one in the world who holds this knowledge, but it must be uncommon and distinct.
  • An L-1 visa is a “dual intent” visa, meaning the visa holder can intend to work temporarily and at the same time apply for a US Green Card. This is different from holders of E visas, who have to signal their intent to depart. This, obviously, can make L visas very attractive.

What are the benefits of an L-1 Visa

  • E-1 visas are initially be granted for up to three years, during which time the visa holder may travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  • An L-1 visa can be renewed for two year increments, up to seven years for L-1A holders and up to five years for L-1B holders.
  • L-1 Visa holders can apply for Green Cards.
  • An L-1 visa holder’s spouse and unmarried minor children are also granted visas. The spouse may apply for permission to work in the United States – even at a different business.

What are the differences between E-1 Visas, E-2 Visas, and L-Visas ?

 L-1 VisasE-1 VisasE-2 Visas
Can you apply from any country?Treaty countries onlyTreaty countries only
Is there a one year work requirement?
Can my spouse work in the US?
Can I renew the visa indefinitely, if I qualify?
Is my business plan crucial?
Is there a minimum investment?Investment must be enough to operate foreign business and US businessNo, but the larger the stronger the applicationInvestment must be large enough to fund US business, usually above $150,000USD
Can I transition to an immigrant visa?
After 1 year an L-1 visa holder can apply for a green card

The E-B5 program can lead to green card

The E-B5 program can lead to green card

L1 Visa Fees

  • Filing Fee –  Regular $460 or $960
  • Filing Fee –  Premium $2,960 or $3,460
  • "I am indebted to VISAS-USA for their great work in getting my O Visa."
    Karina Vence, Dinastia Market
  • "The VISAS-USA team did everything possible to get my Permanent Residency through a National Interest Waiver application."
    Jorge Becerra, Piloto
  • "The advice of VISAS-USA was essential to establish the best strategy to achieve it."
    Facundo Bermejo, eVent Medical

Frequently Asked Questions

  • L Visa FAQ

    • What benefits come with an L-1 visa?
      1. You may travel freely

      2. You will be granted status up to three years, eligible for two year extensions to a total of seven years for managers, five years for specialized knowledge employees

    • Who qualifies for an L-1 visa?

      To be eligible for L-1 visa, you must demonstrate that you:

      1. Work for a foreign company that has a branch, subsidiary, affiliate, or parent company in the United States

      2. Will be transferred as a manager, executive, or person with specialized knowledge or skills, who will oversee the work of professional employees, not laborers

      3. Are not the owner of the company

      4. Have worked with the company for at least one year for the preceding three years

    • What is L-1 visa?

      This visa allows foreign nationals to be transferred by their current overseas employer to the U.S. to manage or direct a subsidiary division. It is called the intra-company transfer visa.

Free Consultation available

Contact Us

Complete our form below or call us at (305) 363-7406.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy